Contract Position Title: Event Associate
Purpose of Contract Position
The Event Associate manages East Bay Meditation Center (EBMC) classes and retreats.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Manage classes and assist teachers
- Coordinate openings and closing of the center on the day of registered classes
- Oversee volunteers during classes
- Manages audio recording of teachers’ talks when appropriate
- Assist teachers during classes as needed, including giving center announcements and Gift Economics talks to the class
- Process donations to EBMC and to the teacher(s) at the end of each class
- Manages feedback surveys for each class and carries out data management tasks related to classes as needed
The Event Associate may do other EBMC tasks as agreed upon with other staff (e.g., trainings for volunteers and practice group leaders).
The Event Associate should demonstrate competence in the following:
- Familiarity and experience with the East Bay Meditation Center, through participation in practice groups and/or attendance at EBMC retreats or classes
- History of meditation practice and familiarity with the Dharma, especially as it applies to generosity, including the generosity of service
- Multicultural awareness, sensitivity, and competence in working and communicating effectively with people across lines of cultural difference and ability
- Experience volunteering at EBMC events a plus
- Able to work evenings and weekends. Commitment to an assigned schedule.
- Reliable, punctual, good follow-through on tasks
- Friendly, personable and patient
- Good communication skills
- Ability to work with close attention to detail for data management and accounting tasks
- Comfortable receiving feedback and responding quickly to changing conditions and situations
- Sensitivity to creating a supportive teaching and learning environment for all
Proficiency in the use of:
- Word processing, specifically Microsoft Office Suite
- Online event management
- EBMC Event Associate will work in a Buddhist center environment
- Required to attend a Monday afternoon staff meeting once a month, 12 – 2 pm.
- Will be required to work evenings and weekends
- Event Associate will expected to manage at least two classes per month.
- Must be able to physically lift 25 – 30 lbs and set up event space as needed for programs
- Compensation: $20/hour
Application Deadline: The position is open until filled. Please send your resume and cover letter to the contact person listed below.
EBMC Contact Person(s) and Contact Information:
Candi Martinez Carthen, Event Coordinator
candi (AT) eastbaymeditation (DOT) org